Monday, September 26, 2011

Hemp Seeds - Nutritional & Delicious

My new favorite seed: hemp. 
I love the delicious, nutty, almost sweet crunch of hemp seeds.  I've been putting them in everything since my sis mentioned them as a way to boost my protein intake.  Thanks Dawn. 
I get excited when I learn about ways to eat healthier.  Besides being high in protein and fiber, I learned that hemp seeds are special because they contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy life.  There are other seeds (such as flax seeds) that contain all the essential amino acids, however no others have them in such an easily digestible form. 
There are many health benefits to ingesting fatty acids in a the ratio carried only by hemp seeds, such as lowering the risk of some diseases including certain types of cancers.  Other benefits include: decrease in the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, mood improvement in bipolar disorders and optimized development in infants.  Also, I'm super excited to read that Hemp oil has been shown to relieve the symptoms of eczema, which my son has been battling for eight years.  The essential fatty acids in it act as an internal moisturiser for the skin, they can help combat the dryness and cracking of eczema and calm inflammation.  I'm almost willing to do anything to bring relief to his skin.  This is definitely worth the try. 
 
Other Info about Hemp:
  • Best used for cold or warm dishes where the temperature is kept below the boiling point (212° F).
  • Seeds can be lightly toasted or baked in bread and pastry dough.
  • Recommended amount of hemp oil is 1 tbsp per day.
  • No, you won't get high or fail a drug test.  (Check out: Hemp and Marijuana: Myths & Realities   http://www.naihc.org/WestArticle.html)
Nutritional Contents:
Essential Fatty Acids
Proteins
Fiber
Calcium
Iron
Antioxidants
Chlorophyll
Phosphorus
Magnesium
Zinc
Copper
Manganese
Vitamin E

No comments:

Post a Comment